Church of Scotland

Some key dates:

Key dates for the Church of Scotland in Avoch
1560 In the reign of Mary, Queen of Scots, Alexander Pedder was appointed vicar
1670 A new church was built "under Episcopalian rule", probably on the site of the previous church
1711 A Presbyterian minister, Rev, ALexander McBean was appointed, but Sir Kenneth Mackenzie of Scatwell and other landed gentry, being Episcopalians, led opposition to him and would not allow him access to the church. He had to be ordained and inducted at Rosemarkie.
1792 The church was enlarged, "giving accommodation for 600"
1822 Manse for the church was built
1870-1872 New Victorian Gothic design church built, with striking octagonal belfry and spire, on the site of the previous church
1896 Chruch hall built
1967 Rev. Finlay Macleod was appointed. He was the last minister for Avoch parish. When he retired, the church linked with Fortrose and Rosemarkie.

In the church are some important relics.

A "sacrament house" or cupboard formerly used to hold communion wine for the sick. It may have come from the Lady Chapel in Ormond Castle, or could have been gifted by Abbot Reid of Kinloss Abbey in the early 16th century.

The church bell, which may have come from Fortrose Cathedral. There is a legend that when Cromwell's forces were taking material from the Cathedral to Inverness, there was a strom and the bell was washed overboard. It was later dredged up in a fisherman'snet. On the bell is inscribed "MINE NAME IS ANNA"