The sea wall, between Avoch and Fortrose was built as part of the Black Isle Road Plan as instigated by Sir James Wemyss Mackenzie of Rosehaugh, along with six other local landowners. The Black Isle Road was to run from the Ferry at Chanonry Point to Conon, a distance of 14 miles and 708 yards, and was to cost £10,000. A survey was carried out by D Wilson, who worked under Thomas Telford. The inexperience of the contractor led to delays but it was finished ahead of schedule in October 1817 - with money to spare! The surplus funds were used for a branch road through Munlochy to Kessock.
The landowners backing the development were:
Colin Mackenzie, Kilcoy
George F Mackenzie, Allangrange
John Gillanders, Highfield
James W Mackenzie, Scatwell
Hector Mackenzie, Gairloch
A Grant, Redcastle
R K Mackenzie, Flowerburn
Picture: Part of the sea wall, adjacent to the harbour.