Toll Road

   
  Toll Road
Avoch Parish Church
Bank of Scotland Building (now a private residence)
Congegational Church
War Memorial
Entrance to Memorial Field
 

Toll Road today (2006) - move your mouse over the picture to identify landmarks

 

Toll Road and the War Memorial. This view shows the Bank of Scotland building (now a private house) which was built in 1926. The war memorial was unveiled in 1923 and catalogues the many men of Avoch who made the supreme sacrifice in both world wars. Avoch Public School and Toll Farm can be seen in background.  

 
  tollroad3
 

Toll Farm

tollroad402Toll Road took its name from Toll Farm (see below) which stood there until the 1930s. The name recalls the days from the early 19th century when tolls were collected at toll gates here, from people using the road out of Avoch.

The farmhouse can be seen on the right, and the farm buildings on the left. Milk was supplied to the village by this farm which was run by the MacDonald family. The farm house and buildings were demolished in the 1930s to make way for housing.

Below - Netta Sutherland bringing home the milk from Toll Farmtollroad Note the War memorial in the background, and the tower of the Free Church (now Tower House) showing above the trees.