Boats

Boats laid up, Avoch
 

April was the time for painting the boats, which were beached on the north side of the harbour.

 

“The Betty” (INS48) and “The Golden Dawn” in new paint

 
  The Betty and Golden Dawn
 
Boats waiting for paint
 

Boats waiting for paint, around the 1960’s

 

Note the number of bogies (handcarts) used for transporting Kessock nets and gear to and from the harbour

 
  Harbour bogies
 
  The Nonesuch
 

The first boat of the Zulu design, “The Nonesuch”, was built at Lossiemouth in 1879. Its length was 60-80 feet with a crew of 6 or 7. The high mast allowed a huge mainsail and with a mizzen and jib. The Zulu was both fast and very seaworthy, excellent for herring fishing.

Zulus were common along the Moray Firth until the early 1920s when they had engines fitted or were replaced by steam or motor drifters.

The “Clever Lassie” was the last Zulu in Avoch and was used until about 1950.

For more information on Zulus and Scaffies click here

 
  Zulu and Scaffie

A Zulu and a Scaffie make their way slowly through Tomnahurich bridge on the Caledonian Canal.

 
  Scafies in harbour
 

Scaffies in Avoch harbour - in the foreground is the “Damascus” and next to it the “Boy Dan”. Note the thatched cottages at the far left (opposite what is now the post office)

 
Beached boats
 

Taken from the East, this photo shows how the boats were beached on the shore when the harbour was inadequate for the growth of the fishing fleet. Most of the houses were built with their gable ends to the sea to afford them storm protection and were newly built at this time. They were situated at the bottom of James Street and Margaret Street and were called the New Cottages.