April was the time for painting the boats, which were beached on the north side of the harbour.
The first boat of the Zulu design, “The Nonesuch”, was built at Lossiemouth in 1879. Its length was 60-80 feet with a crew of 6 or 7. The high mast allowed a huge mainsail and with a mizzen and jib. The Zulu was both fast and very seaworthy, excellent for herring fishing.
Zulus were common along the Moray Firth until the early 1920s when they had engines fitted or were replaced by steam or motor drifters.
The “Clever Lassie” was the last Zulu in Avoch and was used until about 1950.
For more information on Zulus and Scaffies click here
Taken from the East, this photo shows how the boats were beached on the shore when the harbour was inadequate for the growth of the fishing fleet. Most of the houses were built with their gable ends to the sea to afford them storm protection and were newly built at this time. They were situated at the bottom of James Street and Margaret Street and were called the New Cottages.