In 1563 the Dunbar family leased from the Bishop of Ross “three fourths of the town and lands of Avach with the mill and multures” (Multure was the proportion of the grain the farmer had to give the miller.) The Avoch burn has always had a good flow of water, as Suddie Burn, Goose Burn, the Killen Burn and the Burn of Shaltrie flow into it. In 1840, its water powered three meal mills and one wool carding mill. Avoch mill produced oatmeal until the late 1940s. The last tenant of the mill was Donald McLeman and the last miller was Andrew Patience. Near the mill was a small settlement called Milltown in which 80 people lived in 1793.
Views of the meal mill: